Red belt = Bible Belt. #2: Baptists
In addition to the BF&M, the SBC has also issued the following position statements:
- Autonomy of local church — Affirms the autonomy of the local church.
- Cooperation— Identifies the Cooperative Program of missions as integral to the Southern Baptist Convention.
- Creeds and confessions — Statements of belief are revisable in light of Scripture. The Bible is the final word.
- Missions — Honors the indigenous principle in missions. The SBC does not, however, compromise doctrine or its identity for missional opportunities.
- Priesthood of all believers — Laypersons have the same right as ordained ministers to communicate with God, interpret Scripture, and minister in Christ’s name.
- Sanctity of life — “At the moment of conception, a new being enters the universe, a human being, a being created in God’s image”; as such, it should be protected regardless of the circumstances underlying the conception. As such, the SBC opposes abortion and any form of birth control which acts as an abortifacient.
- Sexuality — They affirm God’s plan for marriage and sexual intimacy as a lifetime relationship of one man and one woman. Explicitly, they do not consider homosexuality to be a “valid alternative lifestyle”. They understand the Bible to forbid any form of extra-marital sexual relations.
- Soul competency — Affirms the accountability of each person before God.
- Ordination of women — Women are of equal value to men and participate on Southern Baptist boards, faculties, mission teams, writer pools, and professional staffs. However, women are not eligible to serve as pastors.